Everyone thinks that the only reasons to experience these are from listening to loud music, exposure to loud noise or getting old. The worst one is from "ototoxic" drugs. Medications frequently associated with "ototoxicity" are some antibiotics, diuretics, anti-inflammatories and analgesics. The most used being aspirin. Other sources are aspartame, alcohol, tobacco and caffeines. Pesticides, chemical solvents and heavy metals are also culprits in the auditory world of "ototoxicity". Your genetics can play a part in how susceptible you may be towards this problem. If your immune system is compromised your vulnerability may be more sensitive. People that are on dialysis can experience this effect sooner.